A comprehensive regeneration project, New River Village has transformed 15 acres of industrial dereliction into a thriving new community.
The site, a former Thames Water Treatment Works set within a conservation area, called for an innovative and creative design solution to realise its potential and deliver a high quality environment affording tangible community benefits.
The completed development provides 622 contemporary homes together with a range of commercial and cultural facilities. The development includes a 1.5 hectare linear park, which opens up 400 metres of previously largely hidden New River water frontage for public access and enjoyment.
One of the most challenging aspects of the project was to respond appropriately to the conservation status of the area and the number of locally listed buildings to be retained on the site – most notably the impressive 1901 former pump house, which has been painstakingly restored and refurbished.